Eliminate Face, Neck, & Jaw Pain with TMJ Therapy in Newton Centre
Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) dysfunction, sometimes referred to simply as TMD, occurs when the joints connecting the jaw to the skull bone are damaged or strained. The result can be severe pain or jaw immobility. At Newton Smile Centre, we offer a variety of treatment options to relieve pain and renew oral health. Contact our team to find out more about TMD or schedule an appointment.
Warning Signs of TMD
There are a number of symptoms that indicate patients may be experiencing TMD. It’s important that patients contact us and receive treatment right away if they experience any of the following warnings signs of TMJ dysfunction:
- Sharp pain in the jaw or neck when opening and closing the mouth
- Dull ache in the jaw, head, or neck when the jaw is not in motion
- Chronic earaches, ringing in ears, and even hearing loss at the advanced stages
- Inability to fully extend the jaw or complete jaw immobility
- Clicking and grinding sounds when the jaw is in motion
Oral Appliance Therapy for TMD
Our team may recommend a variety of treatments for those patients suffering from TMD, but oral appliance therapy is one of the most commonly used options. We provide custom crafted oral appliances that are worn during sleep. These mouthguards reposition the jaw in its most comfortable location, reducing unconscious movement at night and relieving jaw pain.