Metal-Free Dental Restorations - Newton Centre, MA
Restoring Smiles Without the Metal
In the past, traditional amalgam fillings, crowns, and bridges were the only way to repair a tooth damaged by decay or injury. Fortunately, times have changed and advancements in dentistry have led more and more dentists to change the way they think about metal and the mouth. Instead of opting for silver or gold, Dr. Walid Ben Aissa and the team at Newton Smile Centre are pleased to offer metal-free dental restorations in Newton Centre. These traditional prosthetics make it possible to fix dental issues without compromising your daily appearance. Contact us today to learn more about these fixtures and how you can swap out your amalgam restoration for one that blends in with your smile.
What Are Metal-Free Restorations?
Metal-free restorations come in different forms, each of which serves a particular purpose:
- Dental Crowns
- Tooth-Colored Fillings
- Inlays and Onlays
- Dental Bridges
Whether you need to fill a cavity, protect a weakened tooth, replace missing teeth, or repair damage to a particular tooth, the restorations listed above can all be created to match the color of your teeth, working to create a blended, beautiful smile. Your dental work will be undetectable to others!
What Are the Benefits of Metal-Free Restorations?
Apart from the fact that you will be free of any toxic metals that can become harmful over time, metal-free restorations offer great advantages that traditional amalgam does not, such as:
- They’re hypoallergenic: Concerned about having an allergic reaction to metal? There’s no need to worry with metal-free restorations. Individuals with sensitivities to metal can now have problem areas of their smile fixed with the help of composite resin or ceramic prosthetics.
- They’re longer-lasting: With proper care and maintenance, you can expect your metal-free restoration to last 10 years or longer.
- They’re a confidence booster: When you feel good about the way you look, your confidence level rises, making it easier to talk to others and engage in social gatherings.
- They’re biocompatible: Metal does nothing helpful for the environment, but metal-free restorations make it possible to provide patients with a healthier and safer alternative that is also just as safe for the environment.
- They strengthen teeth: Although metal is strong and durable, so are metal-free restorations. The materials used are designed to provide patients with the comfort and confidence of knowing their natural teeth are protected and will last even longer.
What Can I Expect During the Process?
Depending on the type of procedure you have, the process of receiving metal-free restorations can vary.
Your dentist in Newton Centre will begin by cleaning out your tooth to remove any decayed portions of the cavity. Once it is clean, he will use composite resin that is matched to your natural tooth color. Filling the tooth, the resin will create a seal that protects it from further reinfection. Using a special UV light, your dentist will point it toward the resin, which will harden it into place. All of this will be completed during one visit to our office.
If a filling will not be enough to protect your damaged tooth, a tooth-colored crown will be necessary. After cleaning the tooth and removing any of the debris, the same composite resin will be used to fill the tooth. After preparing it, we will take impressions of the tooth and send them off to a dental lab where technicians will create your custom crown based on the recommended size, shape, and color. Before leaving, you will receive a temporary crown, which you will wear until the final prosthetic is finished.
After a few weeks, you can return to our office to have your temporary removed and permanent crown put into place.